GOOD NEIGHBOR INITIATIVE
Good Neighbor Initiative is a ministry of King's Church impacting Washington, DC, through words and good deeds for the sake of the world, the good of the Church, and the glory of God.
Volunteer opportunities are open to members and attenders of King's Church and more information can be found by contacting us about getting involved.
A. Local Food Banks:
▪ Food and Friends: Home delivered meals, groceries-to-go, and nutrition counseling for vulnerable populations (219 Riggs Rd NE DC)
▪ Capitol Area Food Bank: Good, healthy food for those struggling with food insecurity through nutrition education, farms and gardening, and food partnerships (4900 Puerto Rico Ave NE DC)
B. Capitol Hill Pregnancy Center (CHPC)
The Capitol Hill Pregnancy Center is a Faith based 501(c)3 organization dedicated to supporting women and men facing a crisis pregnancy through the provision of services, supplies, and counseling.
▪ Must apply and participate in an interview and/or training before volunteering
▪ Volunteer positions include: Pregnancy program counselor - Receptionist - Material resources program counselor - Parenting program mentor - Prayer team - Parenting program babysitter - Abstinence team - Fundraising - Material resource program sorter - Clerical assistance - Manual labor
C. SOME (So Others Might Eat)
SOME is an interfaith, community-based organization that exists to help our neighbors experiencing homelessness and poverty in our nation’s capital. We meet in the immediate daily needs of the people we serve with food, clothing, and healthcare. We help break the cycle of homelessness by offering services, such as affordable housing, job training, addiction treatment, and counseling. Each day, SOME is restoring hope and dignity at one person at a time.
▪ Two-by-two volunteering for food bank or clothing distribution
▪ Individual skill donation (recent needs) - AA/NA Group Meetings - Teaching Computer Skills - Cooking/Nutrition Classes - Providing Information on Health Services - Budgeting Classes - General Assistance (helping residents 1-on-1 with bills, paperwork, calls, etc) - Tutoring (K-12: Reading/English, Math, Spanish, Science) ▪ Church wide April Spring Cleaning [clothing] donations
Reaches teen moms by entering their world, modeling the unconditional love of Christ, and encouraging them to become the women and mothers God created them to be. Through Young Life’s time-tested methods on life-on-life mentoring, teen moms are empowered to make positive choices, set and achieve goals, and live a future rooted in Christ.
▪ Once a month childcare for teen parents (Thursdays)
▪ Must interview before volunteering
▪ Donations needed
E. Christian Legal Aid of DC
Christian Legal Aid of DC exists to provide access to justice with the love of Christ.
▪ Open to law students & attorneys ▪ Must apply and participate in training